Friday, March 30, 2012

Extremely Hungry After Strength Training

To begin, I did great on my calories yesterday, but I decided I would like to try grazing over an extended period of time.  When I got home I went through my strength training routine again.  For those that don't remember it was:

  • 40 jumping jacks
  • 10 push ups (regular)
  • 25 crunches
  • Stretching

 3 full sets of the exercises below:

  • Bench Press (shoulder width) - 12 repetitions - 50 lbs plus bar
  • Lat Pulldown (wide grip) - 12 repetitions - 50 lbs total
  • Dead lift - 12 repetitions - 50 lbs plus bar
  • Barbel Curl (shoulder width) - 8 repetitions - 50 lbs plus bar
After 3 full sets, I did:
  •   40 jumping jacks
  • 10 push ups (knees down)
  • 25 crunches
All of the weight and repetitions remained the same, but I did feel a little stronger this time.  I worked through the routine faster, but still did each exercise slow and precise.  I took shorter breaks and managed to get the whole routine done in about 20 minutes.  My muscles felt more pumped up than last time and I could feel more results this morning.  I also noticed that my muscles are starting to show more and I am open to the fact that this could merely be a placebo effect.

Now the real problem, after my workout I was starving!  I had some water and felt a little better so I went to sleep.  When I woke up this morning I was a lot hungry than I usually am.  I realized after eating breakfast that I was still hungry.  Luckily for me I was able to get my hands on a protein bar and after eating it, I was no longer hungry.  I can only assume that my body was begging me for protein and I haven't been ingesting enough.  Today is my cardio day, but depending on my choice either Saturday or Sunday will be my strength day.  I will try eating some protein before my workout and see if that helps.  If not I will try to eat some protein after my workout.  I need to find a low calorie, high protein item that I can have on-hand for strength days.

Tomorrow, I will have a post up about strength training calories and MyFitnessPal.  I will be weighing myself tonight and I will post my updated weight on Monday when I start blogging again.  If you notice the widget at the top right, you will see that it says I have lost 9 pounds.  This will be updated tonight, but I will officially post my weight on Monday.  Tune in next week to read about my first full week of exercising for Daddy Weight Loss!

No comments:

Post a Comment